Tuesday 28 June 2011

Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen Influence


I recently purchased the 'coffee table book' Influence by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, it includes photographs and interviews based around their influences in fashion and style. It was my love for the Olsen twins style that initially attracted my attention to the book, I grew up watching 'Full House'  where they appeared from the adorable age of 6 months old, however, if you are not a huge Olsen fan but do love fashion I would definitely recommend you do not dismiss it.


When it comes to size this is not a book that you can just throw in your bag, it's big and more a of a stand out piece, the front cover catches attention. Aside from the writing and the interviews for me the photography in the book is worth purchasing it for alone. There are some gorgeous pictures of Mary Kate and Ashley exclusive to this book along with other artistically interesting images. I really like the  you can pick this book up and just flick through it in any order.
I was surprised at the amount of 'Olseness' (I think this word should catch on) or lack of maybe. All the interviews really do seem to be focussed on the designer or photographer, and the questions asked by the twins are very interesting. Although they do interview well I think the people they have chosen to interview are extremely intriguing to read about with the stories they have to tell, so in some ways it makes the Olsen's job 'easier'. The enthusiasm the girls have for fashion and the people they talk about really comes across in the book which is not only endearing to read it also makes it more enjoyable. I like the personal touch this book has, for example a questionnaire given out which has handwritten answers....theres something about seeing a photocopy of the original with the designers handwriting that I just love.  Is this just me?
Within the book they interview the following:

  • Peter Beard
  • Alexandre De Betak
  • Bob Colacello
  • David Collins
  • George Condo
  • Franciso Costa
  • Diane Von Furstenberg
  • John Galliano 
  • Lazaro Hernandez & Jack McCollough
  • Lauren Hutton
  • Karl Lagerfeld
  • Peter Lindbergh
  • Christian Louboutin
  • Margherita Missoni
  • Robert Lee Morris
  • Jack Pierson
  • Richard Prince
  • Terry Richardson
  • Giambattista Valli
  • Evan Yurman
I had by no means heard of all these people yet I found all of them interesting to read about. I love the inspirational quotes included by designers such as Diane Von Furstenberg who I idolise. I think I will combine some of these quotes along with some others of my favourites in a separate post.

I purchased mine from Amazon for £13.56, I think this was reasonable as the price tag on the back said £20.00 so the price varies. Overall I really cannot fault this book and whether you are interested in the Olsen twins themselves or the fashion designers it includes, it is a great book to have. 

If you've read this I would love to know what you think of it. Are there any other books like this you would recommend? 

Hope you enjoyed,

xoxo L

All pictures were found out www.Amazon.co.uk

7 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to buy this book for soooo long! It sounds so good! I love the Olsens :)

    http://rachh90210.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a really cool book! I too like the Olsen twins :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Your Blog!! Great Post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Olsen twins, I think their style is fab; I might not wear everything they do myself, but I love that they have the courage to push the envelope with how they style themselves. However, I wouldn't initially have considered purchasing this book, but after your review I would certainly pick it up if I saw it in a bookshop. So, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, glad theres some people who love them like me :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Olsen twins! Thanks for the review, I was going to buy this last summer but never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seen this book in Urban Oufitters may definitely pick it up after reading this:):)

    Laura<3
    http://all-made-up-21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete